As the daylight hours were winding down, the Westwood Fire Company was dispatched at 1634 for a gas leak outside in the 100 block of Mount Carmel Road in Valley Township. Rescue 44, Ambulance 44-1 and Deputy 44 all responsed within 3 minutes of being dispatched followed by Engine 44-5.
Units arrived on scene to confirm a gas line had been struck in a yard adjacent to two houses. The area was secured and all structures in the immediate area of the leak were evacuated.
Gas leaks are very common and can be determined by the smell of rotten eggs. If you ever smell this smell you should immediately dial 911 and have services rendered to investigate and control the leak. If left unreported, it could be deadly to you and destructive to your property.
Fortunately the resident did the right thing, calling 911 and immediately evacuated the area. Units from Westwood stood by had a catastrophe occurred. Peco arrived and secured the leak within 30 minutes of our dispatch time.
Modena Fire Company Fire Police assisted with shutting down the roadway south of the incident scene. Westwood Fire and EMS cleared the scene at 1721.